Supplements for PCOS are best prescribed by your naturopath or health care practitioner.
There are many nutrients and herbs that target the symptoms of PCOS. Correcting the imbalance will go a long way towards treating the root cause of your PCOS symptoms.
Although the best source of vitamins and minerals is through a well balanced diet, many foods today are depleted in these vital trace elements. Most of us need to supplement our diet with some of the vitamins and minerals that our bodies need to function optimally.
Any treatment for hormonal disorders is best used for a minimum of three months for optimum results.
If you take the Pill to regulate your periods, you may have an even greater imbalance between a number of key vitamins and minerals. Correcting this imbalance will go a long way towards treating the root cause of the problem.
N.B. In other texts, you may come across the terms ‘nutrimedicine’ and ‘nutriceuticals’. These are just fancy names for supplements.
Supplements for PCOS
The following is a list of supplements that are helpful for PCOS.
- A good multivitamin and mineral tablet will provide a ‘little bit of everything’.
- Chromium is essential for insulin’s response on blood sugar, cravings, hunger and weight loss.
- Zinc helps with appetite control and is necessary for the correct action of insulin, promoting a healthy blood sugar balance. It also functions together with selenium and vitamins A and E in the manufacture of thyroid hormone.
- Magnesium balances blood sugar levels. There is a strong link between magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance. It is an important mineral to include if you are suffering from PCOS.
- Co-enzyme Q10 is essential for energy production and normal carbohydrate metabolism (the way our bodies break down the carbohydrates we eat to turn them into energy).
- B Vitamins are important for energy production, fat burning and hormone imbalances, including your thyroid gland and metabolism.
- Vitamin B6 in particular has been found to increase progesterone levels and inhibit the excessive production of prolactin. Vitamin B6 levels may be reduced due to the contraceptive pill. Vitamin B6 can be helpful for high prolactin, depression, anxiety, fluid retention and breast tenderness.
- Di-indole methane, also known as DIM helps the liver convert oestrogen into a healthier form. It is beneficial for conditions such as PCOS, endometriosis & fibroids. DIM also helps correct androgen (e.g. testosterone) excess, helps with the fat gain around the middle and for acne, especially sore, cystic acne. The dose is dependent on body weight.
- The amino acids N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and Arginine have shown in studies to improve ovulation regularity, insulin resistance and reduce excess bleeding in women with PCOS. NAC has also been shown to enhance the fertility drug, Clomid’s success in ovulation outcome (partly because it provide anti-oxidant support).
- D-Chiro-Inositol helps to improve insulin sensitivity, lower free and total testosterone, lower blood pressure, and increase the frequency of ovulation.
- Omega 3 oils (EPA & DHA) found in oily fish and flaxseeds but also as a supplement are helpful for dry skin, vaginal dryness, fatigue, depression, lack of motivation, weight problems, memory problems and blood sugar imbalances and cellular health.
- Evening primrose oil can be helpful for breast tenderness, dry skin and vaginal dryness.
NB. For best results, try these recommended supplements for a period of three months. These supplements are best taken under the care and guidance of your healthcare practitioner.
The Natural PCOS Diet with free bonus PCOS Cookbook
Find out the naturopathic secrets to overcome PCOS with The Natural PCOS Diet, available for instant download. This provides a holistic approach combining targeted supplements for PCOS, herbs, specific diet and lifestyle changes to help you recover your hormone health…naturally of course.
No matter what hormone health challenges you have been facing with PCOS this is the book for you. The information provided will help you understand the underlying causes of PCOS and the steps you need to take to overcome this hormone problem.
The Natural PCOS Cookbook provides easy, delicous recipes suitable for follwing a PCOS diet plan including recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and snacks.