Weight Gain? Hormonally challenged? Feeling toxic?
Here you are trying to lose weight, but something’s not quite right, you just don’t feel great. Or perhaps you’ve reached a plateau where the scales seem stuck, or the cravings are returning.
As you lose weight, ‘fat-soluble’ toxic chemicals are released into your body. These toxins may impair thyroid function, interfere with hormone balance and metabolism, trigger blood sugar imbalances, affect insulin and even cause low-level inflammation throughout the body. The good news is you can bypass these problems by focusing on optimising liver function. Your liver is directly associated with metabolism, weight loss, oestrogen clearance and detoxification.
Top Tips for Optimising Liver Function & Colon Cleanse
- During the first week, avoid all dairy, wheat, and gluten, shifting the emphasis to vegetables, fruit, organic poultry, egg whites and gluten-free grains. A daily cup of black coffee is allowed.
- During the second week introduce one eliminated food daily, to highlight any food intolerances or other negative reactions, such as bloating. Problem foods should be avoided for at least two weeks, and possibly until you achieve your perfect weight.
- Fibre is necessary to help absorb toxins and keep bowel movements regular. Good sources include apple, pear, grapefruit, oats, brown rice, beans or legumes, artichoke, carob powder, flaxseeds and psyllium.
- Other liver-boosting foods are almonds, coconut and quinoa.
- If you can tolerate dairy, whey powder is great for the liver because it contains amino acids such as cysteine and glutathione, which are potent antioxidants and detoxifiers.
- Of course, it goes without saying, drink 2 litres of filtered water daily!
- Supplements and herbs aid a successful liver detox and gut cleanse Omega 3 fatty acids, B vitamins, magnesium, and herbs such as aloe vera, milk thistle, dandelion, globe artichoke, rosemary and bupleurum are all effective liver and gut cleansing agents.