Up to 70 percent of women experience low libido at some point, especially during the perimenopause and menopause years. Of course it isn’t just women who suffer, men can also experience low libido due to many factors, particularly due to declining testosterone.
During perimenopause and menopause, oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone start to decline. Coupled with lower levels of adrenal hormones including cortisol and DHEA, diminishing hormones may reduce libido and contribute to vaginal dryness. In addition, psychological conditions, such as anxiety, depression and stress can also adversely affect libido, as can tiredness, relationship difficulties, and some medications, notably antidepressants, blood pressure medications, and even antacids.
The good news is that BICOM® bioresonance, natural and psychological therapies can help significantly!
Bespoke Bio-identical hormone Therapy
Bespoke Hormone creams work in conjunction with BICOM® bioresonance. I now offer a range of bespoke hormone prescriptive creams which can contain a range of hormones that you may be lacking such as progesterone, biest (natural safe oestrogen blend), testosterone and DHEA.
Horny Herbs for Low Libido!
The following herbs may be considered for a bespoke hormone herb prescription:
- Circulatory stimulating herbs: ginkgo , hawthorn, ginger, and prickly ash
- Hormonal balancing herbs; black cohosh, red clover (both indicated for vaginal dryness), shatavari, chaste tree, dong quai etc
- Male reproductive tonics: damiana, Korean ginseng and tribulus (also for women)
- Nervine herbs: St John’s wort, kava, lemon balm, skullcap and passionflower
- Adrenal adaptogen herbs: withania (ashwagandha), Korean and Siberian ginseng, rhodiola, licorice
- Tonic herbs: Gotu kola, nettle, sage, fenugreek
Homoeopathy can help balance the body’s energy reserves on all levels, emotional as well as physical. It is important to consult an experienced homeopath who can pinpoint all symptoms, however small they seem, so the remedy matches the whole person. Some indicated remedies may include:
- Lycopodium: For where low libido is related to diminished self-confidence and high anxiety.
- Kali phos: Increases sexual desire, particularly where nervousness is a problem.
- Sepia: general sense of exhaustion and dragging down sensations within the pelvic region
Australian Bush flower essences
Some useful essences include:
- Billy Goat Plum: for increasing sexual enjoyment and acceptance of one’s body
- Bush Gardenia: to renew interest in a partner and improve communication
- Flannel Flower: to stimulate sensitivity, touch and joy in physical activities.
The following essential oils may be useful to use in a bath or combined in a sweet almond massage oil:
- 12 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 5 drops vanilla essential oil
- 1drop cinnamon essential oil
- 1 drop jasmine essential oil
The food of love
Food is nutrition. One of the simplest ways to lift low libido is to eat food that gives the benefits of the nutrients we need.
- Zinc-rich foods that facilitate the release of sex hormones include: pumpkin seeds, oysters, turkey, eggs, garlic, cashews and almonds.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – found in flaxseeds, walnuts, chia seeds and salmon – are health enhancing and boost mood.
- Maca root is a nutritionally dense superfood used throughout the world to increase energy, stamina and sexual performance in men and women.
- There is truth to the old adage about oysters – as well as containing zinc; they naturally increase dopamine, a hormone which is essential for getting you in the mood.
- Dark chocolate, blueberries and spirulina also contain tyrosine, which the brain converts to dopamine.
Other Natural Therapies
Some clinical trials suggest women who exercise, particularly weight training, retain a small amount of testosterone, which improves libido. Of course the added benefits of overall fitness, weight loss, improved blood circulation and endorphin release after exercise is an added bonus.
Other natural therapies that indirectly support healthy adrenal and hormone production may include Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), mindfulness, counselling, and hypnotherapy.
Book an Appointment Today
So what are you waiting for? Book an appointment to help re-ignite the ‘flame’ and balance your hormones naturally!